Practice Exam 3
Below is a list of problems that should help you study for the exam. Problems referred by a number and a page number are problems from your text.
1) # 51, # 67 p. 285
2) Express as a single logarithm and simplify as far as possible
3) #21 p. 295 (Simplify as far as possible)
5) # 71 p. 295
6) # 17, #39 p.302 (You do not have to check your solution on a grapher unless you want to.)
7) A radioactive element decays exponentially according to the formula
for some constants and . Time t is measured in days. The initial amount of 50 grams at decays to 40 grams in 10 days.
(a) Find the half-life of the element.
(b) When will the amount be 10 grams?
8) The population of a town, , in thousands, increases according to the formula
where is the time in years since Jan.1, 1990.
(a) What will the population be on Jan 1, 2005?
(b) Find the doubling time of the population.
9) A forester is standing 200 ft from the base of a tree. He measures that the angle of elevation from the point he is standing to the top of the tree is 0.68 radians. Find the height of the tree.
10) #1, p. 369, # 17, # 23 , # 27 p.370
11) # 25, #37 p. 387
12) #51, #53 p. 388
13) Suppose that the angle t is in the II quadrant. Suppose sin(t)=0.3. Find cos(t), tan(t), cot(t), sec(t).
14) Determine the amplitude and the period of the following functions:
(a) (b) (c)
15) Find a possible formula for the following graphs
("Pi" stands for .)