Practice Exam 2--Answers
You can find answers to odd-numbered problems from the text in the text. Here are the answers to all other problems.
2) We complete the square in terms of x and in terms of y:
That gives us
Hence, the radius is r=5, the center is (-2,3).
3) (a) even (b) neither (c) odd (d) neither
8) (a) The discriminant =25+24=49. Hence, the equation has two real distinct solutions. They are =1, .
(b) The discriminant = 4-12=-8. Hence, the equation has two complex conjugate roots. Using the quadratic formula we obtain
We can simplify them: and .
9) . Since the equation has roots , , we can factor
11) (b) None. .
12) For example, .
14) # 42: (x)= .
16) Graph of the inverse is symmetric with respect to the line y=x. Hence, the graph of the inverse, in blue is